The legendary cricketer, Brain Lara who was unsold in the IPL Auctions praised Indian Premier League for its role in promoting the T20 format of the game. He said, “I am not overly disappointed, I have no resentment. But I think the owners missed the broader picture. The teams have 75 per cent of young Indian cricketers. I would have brought a lot of knowledge to the dressing room. I could have made a difference as a mentor to the team. At 41, I am not really looking at playing some 20-odd matches.”
“I was looking at the IPL as an opportunity to continue my love affair with India. I will come again next year as I want to be a part of a successful unit. I want to contribute through my presence in the dressing room, team meetings.”
Lara also commented on Ganguly and said “I am fine with it. You can’t play down a player like Ganguly just because he was not sold. It should not tarnish his achievements. He was one of the best leaders India ever had.”